• Author
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful
    Kowus Pelser
    Keymaster

Most of us go out with 3-4 rods and use our rods for the following:

2x rods for trolling and 1x rod for spinning. Couple of guys add a lighter rod for chokka or bottoms. That’s if you don’t want to change out you lures.

You also get some guys who use hand-lines for bottoms & some for trolling. It’s however quite difficult to cast spinners out with a hand line. A couple of things you need to note around using handlines:

• Safety, big fish hit that line hard. YT likes to run down and could dump you as you don’t have the advantage of a drag and more line.
    • When you are a newbie and not used to your hand line, it’s difficult to bring up a bigger fish to gaff on a hand line, you don’t have the advantage of a rod you can pick up.
    • When the water and wind throws you around, there’s lots of line tangling in all of that chaos.

Then on rod choice… everyone has their brands. If you are a newbie my recommendation would be to look at the requirements on your rod and select the best option for you. Just keep in mind that on the Kayak you want rods that fit your hull to store them when entering and exiting the surf. Also you want a shorter rod to be able to bring the fish close enough to gaff. This is typically 6ft rods.

My rod choice:  I have two stiffer rods for trolling with a very good all rounder jigging/spinning rod.

For trolling I opt for slightly stiffer heavier rods, I use Elbe ski-pro 8-12 kg’s and they work very well. These are lekker cheap rods that really work exceptionally well. Other good options are Sloppy, Daiwa etc. Loads of other brands offer great rods all in different price options. You don’t need a massive boat rod, you’re going to be dragged by the fish so no need to go wild.

For spinning you need a rod to cast that lure out as far as possible. If you select carefully you can get a single rod to cater for all. I’ve selected the Okuma metaloid jigging rod. I’m absolutely crazy about this rod. I use it for bottoms, jigging, spinning, chokka etc. Exceptional all rounder. The Shimano Trevala is another popular all rounder used by the guys. These rods are thin compact rods, you’ll be surprised what size fish you can land with these little rods.

Recently Stealth introduced some really great fit for purpose rod’s. The reviews on these rods are amazing and if you look at what the guys are landing using these rods I’m sure they are a force to be reckoned with. I’m very excited to get my hands on some stealth rods but that will have to wait until I’m due for replacement.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Open chat