Recreational fishing regulations
Recreational fishing includes any fishing that is done for pleasure or sport. The following general regulations apply:
- You should get a fishing permit from an office authorised by the national Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- The selling and trading of fish is not permitted.
- You need to use a rod, reel and line only, and follow the angling regulations when fishing.
- Your cast net must not be larger than 6 meters in diameter.
- If you are endorsed for spear fishing, you can catch fish of Class Pisces (that is bony fish, sharks, rays, skates and chimaeras) with a speargun only and,
- You can fish from a vessel (like a boat) if you are endorsed to fish from a vessel.
Remember, there are specific regulations for different types of fishing. Learn about these regulations before your next fishing trip.